Saturday, April 9, 2011

Something Stinks!

Darren was gone this last week. Friday I took the kids to the church for the chili cook-off and dessert auction. He happened to get home while we were there. He came in, did his usual "dump" of all his "stuff". Big stuff on floor in den, and small stuff on kitchen counter. Little did he know, when setting a bag on the counter it pushed down the toaster button. He was on his way up to take a shower, but decided to check email first for whatever reason. Then...... sniff sniff, something smelled of smoke! He ran in the kitchen and was greeted by billowing white smoke and flames! He basically ran to it and with one swoop motion, pushed it into the sink and turned on the water. Previously, I had baked banana bread and it was in a ziploc bag sitting on top of the toaster. So him "turning on the toaster", melted the plastic bag, making the plastic drip onto the heating element of the toaster and it started on fire. He received a couple burns on his hands. But he's fine. So.... I'm at church and I receive a text with a picture that I didn't recognize. Since it was my once clean counter top and toaster, now black and my once treasured cookbooks charred in bits! Now, I have TONS of cookbooks. I could probably fill an entire bookcase with them, but they are kept in another closet. However, the ones I use daily are kept on the counter by non-other than the.... toaster. So.... Needless to say, they got torched. But not too bad. One is destroyed. It didn't even make it to the picture. :( sniff sniff. But, I still have a check book-kind of, an address book-kind of, and my recipe books-kind of! Once I knew he was fine and the house wasn't burned down, I kind of got mad at him. But I'm over it now and all is well! ;) Welcome home honey! Just come in and burn down the house! :) Love you! Oh...p.s. Thank GOODNESS he chose to check email rather than take a shower!!!!!!! Holy Cow!



5 comments:

Kate said...

holy cow! that is crazy! you're poor cookbooks! i would feel the same way, seriously! glad the house didn't burn down....thankfully he listened to that little "prompting."

Briana said...

Oh my goodness, very scary! I love how you admitted to being mad at him at first... I probably would have, too, but then realized that he didn't burn the house down with himself in it!

Sue Howe said...

So grateful for the Holy Ghost's promptings to you Darren. "I will go before you face, I will be on your right hand and on your left hand and my angels round about to bear you up." D&C. Much love.

Kathy said...

Yeah, scary! Isaac recently torched my mom's office along with 2 little cousins (Grandma Lila had left a barbecue lighter out on the desk wit the safety off). I think the fire scared them so they left the office and shut the door. Peggy saw them coming out looking suspicious and decided to check on things. She quickly put the fire out... and burned her hands in the process. Tender mercies.... aren't we grateful for them.

Project Elevate said...

B-L-E-S-S-E-D!